The Doctor Who Festival looks set to be chock-full of entertainment, with new guests and activities announced for the event to be held from 21-22 November in Sydney.
Joining Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat will be new series writer and actor Mark Gatiss, who will host a special writers’ master class over the weekend. Attendees will be given the opportunity to ask questions about how a Doctor Who script is crafted, as well as discover the techniques behind the art of dramatic scriptwriting and how to get work published.
“Watching Doctor Who as a child made me want to become a writer and actor – I used to jot down ideas in my school exercise book,” said Gatiss, who is one of few people to have written for the Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors. “Doing it for real for the past ten years and four Doctors is a dream come true. At the Doctor Who Festival, you can come and hear the stories behind my stories!”
Also in attendance will be the Real SFX team, led by Danny Hargreaves. In a spectacular SFX display, attendees will have the chance to witness explosions and fireballs, elemental and atmospheric effects, mechanical rigs and pyrotechnics. Interactive sections of the demonstration will also offer audiences the chance to participate in the action.
Other activities announced for the weekend include the following:
- Q&A sessions – watch writers and cast from the series talk about how to make an idea become reality on Doctor Who;
- A limited number of photo and autograph opportunities with selected talent;
- Wardrobe Department – an exhibition of costumes and props;
- Cosplayers’ Showcase – a chance for fans to showcase their Doctor Who-themed outfits, with a special prize awarded to the best dressed;
- The Fan Challenge – a space for fans young and old to test their Doctor Who knowledge;
- The Doctor Who Quiz – said to be the ultimate Doctor Who quiz, where fans can show off their in-depth knowledge of the Doctor and his many adventures.
More guests and activities are yet to be announced, so watch this space!
The Doctor Who Festival will be held at the Hordern Pavilion and the Royal Hall of Industries from 21-22 November. Tickets can be purchased via Ticketek.