The guest line-up for the Doctor Who Festival just got a whole lot bigger! From 21-22 November, the Festival will host Billie Piper (pending filming commitments), Sylvester McCoy and Dan Starkey, in addition to Peter Capaldi, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.
The festival will see Piper (new series companion Rose Tyler) and McCoy (the Seventh Doctor) appear on stage in a series of fan Q&As hosted by Adam Spencer. McCoy has already indicated his excitement about attending, saying he is “over the moon”.
Starkey (Sontaran Strax) will meanwhile offer fans the chance to learn what it takes to be a monster in a special hands-on drama session. He will be joined by actor Jon Davey, who has played a variety of monsters in over 30 episodes of Doctor Who.
“I made a flying visit to Australia a few years ago, and I’m really looking forward to coming back and spending a little longer this time,” said Starkey. “In his long and illustrious military career, I’m sure that Strax has conquered jet-lag – and I’m certain I will too!”
The festival will also offer a range of activities which are sure to keep attendees busy all day long! Newly announced activities include:
- Millennium FX Monster Show: See the work that goes into creating some of the iconic monsters from Doctor Who with a live monster make-up demonstration. A brand new, never-before-seen Series 9 monster will also appear on stage!
- Drama School With The Monsters: Learn from Dan Starkey and Jon Davey what it takes to be a monster on the set of Doctor Who in this hands-on drama school session.
- Production Village: Get a glimpse of life on set with script editor Gary Russell. Learn about the different roles in television production and what it’s really like to work on set.
- The Science of Doctor Who: This interactive session, hosted by comedian Rob Lloyd, investigates the science of time travel, asks if regeneration is possible and explains how the TARDIS can be bigger on the inside.
- Iconic Set – Direct from Cardiff, a unique setting from this season’s Doctor Who will be coming to Australia for the first time ever.
This is in addition to the previously announced activities, including photo and autograph opportunities with the guests, a writers’ masterclass hosted by Mark Gatiss, an SFX display, an exhibition of props and costumes, a cosplay showcase and a Doctor Who quiz!
The Doctor Who Festival will be held at the Hordern Pavilion and the Royal Hall of Industries from 21-22 November. Tickets can be purchased via Ticketek.